Thursday, August 03, 2006

Captain Planet, he's our hero!

Holy cow, I'm moving to Africa next month! Africa... Wow. I've planned on this for a while now, but it's still amazing to think about! :)

I just started a new job as a receptionist this week, and today everyone in the office ate lunch together because it was one of our coordinator's birthday. Since I was the newbie, everyone was asking me questions such as how long I'd be working there, where I graduated college, what my plans were for after I left the company, etc. Of course once we got on the subject of Peace Corps, the questions exploded and everyone had something to ask. One woman asked "What would make someone want to go into the Peace Corps. Honestly, I wanted to say: "Why wouldn't you want to go into the Peace Corps!?"

Actually, it is hard for me to remember what originally got me interested in the Peace Corps. I don't know if it was the mother hen side of me that always wants to help people, the idea of an adventure, my love of environmental education, or the fact that I was brought up in a family that stressed the importance of helping others.

Ok, ok...the real reason I want to go into the Peace Corps is because I've always wanted to be Captain Planet. Seriously. I wrote that in my application essay. That's probably why my process was so complicated...they thought I was crazy :)

1 comment:

Jake said...

Best educational/environmentally friendly cartoon show ever produced. That song is part of my childhood...just like the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.