Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I am a bad bad person for not updating everyone on my recent super fantastic news!

Two Monday’s ago, I got a call from my actual Placement Officer. He wanted to know about my efforts to learn French, so I gave him a huge long list of everything I plan to do to become as fluent as possible before I leave. Apparently my plans were enough to satisfy him, because he immediately put my invitation in the mail!!

He told me to wait 5 days for the invitation to arrive. I have to say—those were the longest 5 days ever! I was determined that after I went out with friends on Saturday morning that I would come home to a big white PC packet. No such luck. However, at 5pm when I went outside to take out the trash, there was my packet sitting on top of the mailbox! I dropped everything and went sprinting across the yard and back into the house, while yelling “It’s here, it’s here!” Yeah, I was pretty excited.

Take a deep breath before you try to say any of this, because it’s a mouthful: I am going to Cameroon to serve as a Farming Extension Agent in the SAHEL Agro-Forestry and Permanent Farming Systems program. I leave September 26th! The more I research this placement and the assignment, the more excited I get because it all sounds so amazing!

Yesterday, Tuesday, I officially accepted my invitation. Now I have 10 days to send out my new resume and aspiration statement as my introduction to my country desk!

I’m an invitee!!! :) :) :)

No comments: