Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ashia!


Hello hello!

On Saturday we will finally be leaving for the North where we will be moving in with our host families!! We are taking a 30ish hour train ride to get up there…I’m super excited because it goes through the rainforest, but sadly it will be at night and we probably won’t see much.

We met the US Cameroonian ambassador 2 days ago, we got a picture...very nice guy.

I had my first Cameroonian adventure yesterday!! When I got kicked off the internet after sending my family a very short e-mail, it began to POUR. (welcome to the tropics) Anyway, it was the first time that we were walking the mile from PC to the hotel, and we did it in the mud, in the dowpour. I thought that it was great fun :) I got my first Ashia! Ashia means 'that's too bad, or I'm sorry." Most of the things we've heard from Cameroonians have just been harrassment. It's fascinating though...apparently we're good fun to stare at :)

OH!! I cut my hair. You know how I am, once I decide that my hair needs to be cut it has to be done right away...so we discussed haircuts yesterday and I went back to the hotel and I pulled out my scissors and just began to cut. It's probably the shortest it's ever been. I can't upload pictures yet, but as soon as I can I will send you one. It's about chin length with layers. It's super cute :)

Anyway, need to get back to learning about my future!

Please know that I feel very safe here (we even have our own armed guards at the hotel and at PC...though I don't feel like we really need them) as well as happy and in relatively good spirits. I'm very excited to get on the train Saturday and get this adventure truly started!

No comments: