Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hello hello! I tried to keep myself away from the computer today because I felt like I was hogging screen time yesterday--plus I got stuff done today! I went out to the lab in the city, and picked up a couple presents. I feel really bad because I have NO souvenirs so far and no cool gifts for people. I can't go out in the city alone, so hopefully I will be able to convince someone to go back out with me tomorrow before our Thanksgiving celebration. If not...well you get me as an African souvenir!

Answers to questions…
I did get to say goodbye to my homestay family on Monday. My intermediary and my driver came back to my house with me in the morning and we called my homestay mother on the cellphone to come home from the fields to meet with us. (my homestay father is out en brusse until this weekend, so I didn't get to say goodbye to him) We all sat down together and my driver translated into fulfulde for me. My mother cried a little and said she was disappointed that they wouldn't get to come visit me, etc. It was very touching. Then we got up and starting moving all of my stuff to the vehicle. I ended with handing out a HUGE pile of presents for the family and then we waved goodbye.

My driver was very impressed that my 2-year old brother knew me by name and announced "Amber warti" (Amber is here - in Fulfulde) when we walked in. I though 'duh, of course he knows me...I'm Amber, I like kids!' He was a pretty cute kid :)

I didn't end up getting any pictures from homestay because it wasn't appropriate to take pictures as we were clearing out, and I had been saving it till the end of stage because I didn't want to advertise that I had a camera. Dang it. But Ryan promised to at least get a picture of the kitten and send it to me. One of my little brothers is quite happy to keep the kitten because he loves animals and we got a baby baby puppy at one point that he ADORED and my father got rid of it, so I'm happy that he gets to keep the kitten. Plus I feel very good about the way they treat her now.

I had my parting interview with the country director today and he tried to convince me to stay. He and the PCMO both told me that I should try getting off of lariam and seeing if that makes me feel better about being here...but at this point I'm totally invested in going home.

I do not have cerebral malaria, that's all I know. When I get back to the US, I will stay on prophylaxis for 4 weeks and will also go on antibiotics for 2 weeks to clear my liver of any parasites. I have a paper to take to the doctor saying what I've been exposed to in case I end up with weird medical problems back in the US...and of course the Peace Corps will reimburse me for any problems related to service.

I am super excited to see Uncle Gary during my 6 hour layover in Brussels…how perfectly did that work out?

Sorry, I thought that I had told you about my eye! I'm having 'visual disturbances.' What that means is that it appears that something is floating in my eye. I had an American doctor in Koza take a look at it, but he didn't see anything. One of the side effects of Lariam is 'visual disturbances.' Hopefully after going off of lariam I will start to return to being a normal person. I have absolutely nothing good to say about Lariam, nothing.

My PCMO didn't diagnose me with PTSD because he thinks that most of my problems are actually related to the lariam. My symptoms are CLASSIC lariam side effects. My country director actually suggested today that I asked the PCMO for some sleeping pills to help block out my nightmares while I'm still in country. People have really been pushing pills lately...geez.

Ok...done with questions, now I'll move on to new information!

I traveled out into Yaounde today to get my lab work done, and that was quite an adventure! I went with a guy who is flying out on Friday who is really good friends with the girl I was supposed to be replacing at Mozogo...so it was nice to have a companion, but being with him was awkward because he was telling me about how awful it is for an RPCV when their replacement ETs. Helpful, like I don't already feel bad enough.

The lab was interesting...it was pretty clean, but it would still never fly in the US. The lady who drew my blood ripped my vein and hit a nerve, so I left the lab and went straight to my PCMO for help. I was kind of freaked out because I couldn't straighten my arm and was in quite a bit of pain. The PCMO did a bunch of flexibility tests on my arm and declared that it was just a nerve issue and gave me massive amounts of ibuprofen. The swelling has gone down and I have almost complete use of my arm again. Not a big deal at all, but it was kind of scary at first. I'd hate for this adventure to end without any more issues :)

I just found some people to go out with me tomorrow to drop more stuff at the lab and then buy presents! Yay!!! I have no idea what I'll be able to find, but whatever I find, you will love. (I have declared)

Ok, I've been sitting here for a loooong time so I should go now. We are getting pizza delivered here soon--how exciting is that? No millet and gumbo for me--ever!!

Happy Turkey day, I love you guys! I would like to share what I am thankful for since I won't be at the meal: "I am thankful that I am returning to a place where I feel safe and loved and supported."

No comments: